I took my last preliminary exam on Wednesday, and since then, I haven't really known what to do with myself. I studied for the exams three days a week, approximately six hours per day, for nine months. Now that it's over, I have this nagging feeling that I need to be doing something - like reading or skimming through my notes. I'm sure the feeling will go away eventually. Besides, I am still in a graduate program, and I still have a long way to go. But for now, I going to try to relax and enjoy the fact that I only have teaching to worry about right now.
I should know in a couple of weeks whether or not I have passed the exams. I met with my dissertation director yesterday, and he basically assured me that unless something went terribly wrong during the exam, I should have this thing wrapped up. In fact, he was grading the first exam that I took for him when I walked in.
He and I also discussed what I need to be working on in order to complete my complete my prospectus. You see, the university decided not to renew his contract, in spite of the fact that he is one of the most widely published and prestigious professors at the university. Go figure. World Magazine did a piece on him recently. You can view it at: http://www.worldmag.com/articles/13891
In any event, I will be working long distance with my director. It will be challenging, no doubt, but I hope that it will work in my favor, allowing me to have more freedom as I write. We'll see how it goes!
2 comments:
Congrats on finishing! I know how you're feeling right now--it's a relief to be done, but also hard to know what to do with yourself. You could always drop by and play with that baby who lives next door . . . :)
All you've got to do is say the word. Anytime you and Evan need to get out, Ted and I would be happy to offer our babysitting services - gratis. :-)
Post a Comment