My students will be writing on this issue in the next two weeks. The case is interesting, and I haven't made up my mind about it. Hopefully it will lend itself to good student responses.
Interesting--and interesting that the commentators seem to think this is a new "incredible" issue? I think I get restricting language to that which teachers understand to prevent students from getting away with bad behavior. But it sounds like the English-only policy was in effect before this incident, leading me to believe there are other (possibly more distressing) motivations for the rule. No non-English languages even during lunch and recess? What else is the school restricting? I say give all the kids a break and let them have their down time, while still insisting on respect for others. How is taking away students' rights to free speech modeling the principle of respect, anyway?
I think I'm bothered most by the fact that the school expelled the student for breaking the English only rule, not for harrassing other students. It seems to me that the latter offense, not the former, could merit expulsion. I feel that the school may have "asked for it" in this case. On the flip side, it is a private school, and the parents don't have to send their kids there. But perhaps the mark on the school record makes this an issue worth pursuing . . ?
2 comments:
Interesting--and interesting that the commentators seem to think this is a new "incredible" issue? I think I get restricting language to that which teachers understand to prevent students from getting away with bad behavior. But it sounds like the English-only policy was in effect before this incident, leading me to believe there are other (possibly more distressing) motivations for the rule. No non-English languages even during lunch and recess? What else is the school restricting? I say give all the kids a break and let them have their down time, while still insisting on respect for others. How is taking away students' rights to free speech modeling the principle of respect, anyway?
I think I'm bothered most by the fact that the school expelled the student for breaking the English only rule, not for harrassing other students. It seems to me that the latter offense, not the former, could merit expulsion. I feel that the school may have "asked for it" in this case. On the flip side, it is a private school, and the parents don't have to send their kids there. But perhaps the mark on the school record makes this an issue worth pursuing . . ?
Post a Comment