Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Boss of Me

Have you ever seen this commercial for TheLadders.com?



We believe this commercial is a good metaphor for our lives. Ted and I are the little monsters. We can squeak, squeal, huff and puff as much as we want, but to no avail. We are slaves to the "big talent," otherwise known as our son, Little Ted. Like the little monsters in the commercial, we run for cover when he roars. He reminds us who is the boss in our house.

Here's an example: a couple of weeks ago, he threw his first temper tantrum. That's right, I said temper tantrum. I know it sounds a little unbelievable (I had to convince my mom that it happened), but our sweet little infant had his first fit for no good reason. We had been enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon watching football and relaxing. Around 4:30, I went to the kitchen to make dinner. Little Ted started crying for no apparent reason. After trying all the usual methods to stop his wailing, we realized what was happening. Since he would not be comforted, we let him cry. I finished making dinner and picked him up in hopes that he would calm down. This wasn't good enough. He wanted me to walk with him, so I did. Of course, I was pretty hungry, too, so I decided to eat my dinner while holding him. Again, no good. Apparently, I was not allowed to eat. My hunger eventually won out, and he let me eat while standing and rocking back and forth. It was an interesting meal, to say the least.

We have had no other incidents since that one. If anything, it has taught us what our little guy is capable of and where we stand.

No comments: