The story of Little Ted’s first birthday reminds me of the old saying, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” As I have already mentioned on this blog, we had originally planned having his birthday party on Friday the 16th. But that morning, we woke to find that the condo was 80+ degrees inside, and the a/c unit outside was puffing out smoke. Uh oh – not quite the ideal situation for birthday celebrations, especially considering the birthday meal we planned and his cake would have to be baked in the oven.
So we tried again on Saturday. I had not had enough time to make the cake ahead (like I now know I need to do for future birthdays), and I didn’t get started until after 1 p.m. This delayed everything because the cake had to bake before our dinner could go into the oven. On top of everything, Little Ted hadn’t had an adequate nap that afternoon, so he was ready to go to bed by 5 p.m. (an hour before his usual bedtime). Since things were not ready and we did not feel like torturing him, we pushed back the birthday related events (opening presents, cake) to Sunday.
Sunday came, and the plan was to start the “birthday events” after Little Ted’s nap. But we had taken a drive that morning to show Grandma and Grandpa Robles Cameron Park and mommy’s office, and during the drive, Little Ted fell asleep. As a result, a regular nap did not happen. I waited, hoping he would get tired enough to take his nap, but he refused. So, sometime around 2, we dragged out all his presents, helped him open them, brought out the cake, sang happy birthday, and let him have at it. After that, Little Ted decided it was naptime, so the festivities were over as abruptly as they had begun. I think it was Little Ted’s way of reminding us who is in charge.
No comments:
Post a Comment