Thursday, June 20, 2013

Baby Birds

Back in March, with the help of Ted's parents, we added some potted plants to our porch.  Shortly thereafter, I began a battle with the birds, who were determined to build a nest in one of the new hanging pots.  I successfully removed the first nest before the birds were able to lay eggs.  But it took some effort.  As soon as I realized what was happening, I began removing the nest.  In the process, the birds discovered what was going on and attempted to stop me.  They swooped overhead while I wildly waved my arms and told Little Ted to duck.  He, of course, thoroughly enjoyed all the excitement while visions of Hitchcock's The Birds ran through my head.  No injuries were sustained in the process, and the birds left us alone . . . for  awhile.

I discovered the second nest only after there were eggs in it.  Knowing that the eggs would not survive if I moved the nest, I left them alone and watched as my plant was torn to shreds.  Birds have no respect for hanging gardens.



Yesterday, while LT and I were watering the plants, I discovered that the eggs had hatched and there were now three (maybe 4) little birds sitting in the nest.  We showed them to LT, who now calls them "my baby birds."  This morning, we had to check on them, just to make sure that they were still there and to try to wake them from their slumber.  I exepct that this will become a daily routine.





No comments: