On Monday, we began our 5 week childbirth class series. We came armed with pillow in hand (we were told we would be doing relaxation exercises on the floor at some point) and headed to the classroom. The same instructor greeted us, and we settled in for introductions and a slideshow. Once again, there was a wide variety of couples present. To our right was the Baylor couple that looked like they were barely out of high school and giggled every time a diagram of the pregnant female body was flashed on the screen. To our left was a husband who, though his wife was clearly pregnant, still had not come to the full realization that they were having a baby. And across the room was a husband who was "well trained" - he had apparently made several midnight runs to the store because "the baby wanted cupcakes."
This particular class covered very general information about labor. During the course of the evening, the nurse mentioned that dehydration was a leading cause of preterm labor. Not surprisingly, about half the wives (myself included) headed to the snack bar at break to pick up a bottle of water. After break, we toured the LDR (labor, delivery, and recovery) and postpartum wing of the hospital. It was nice to know where I will be once I go into labor and get a heads up as to what kinds of monitors will be hooked up to me during that time. Overall, the area looked clean and kept up. The only disappointment: the postpartum rooms are tiny, but I guess that's to be expected. The smaller they are, the more they can squeeze on to the floor. In any event, I won't be there for long, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Next Monday, class meets again. Not sure what we're going to discuss, but I have not doubt that it will be blog worthy material. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment