Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 90 - Newborn Care Class

Yesterday evening, we attended our first education class at Providence Hospital, where Little Ted will be born. The class was entitled "Newborn Care," and it covered topics like how to swaddle your baby, change his diaper, and bathe him, SIDS, colic, jaundice, and when to call the doctor.

The class was very informative and made Little Ted's arrival all the more "real" (sometimes it can be easy to overlook how soon he'll be here!).

A couple of highlights from the evening: we won a prize (along with about 2/3 of the class) during a game of bingo. It is the lovely burp cloth you see below, which says, "I'm a kid, I am America's Future!"



The other highlight: the wide variety of questions asked during the evening. The couples definitely displayed their level of baby experience and general knowledge through their questions. We heard everything from "How do you know if a baby is hot?" and "When on a road trip, is it necessary to stop and change your baby's dirty diaper when you're only 20 minutes from your destination?" to "Can you avoid smelly diapers by breastfeeding until the child is potty trained?" Meanwhile, as the nurse described Shaken Baby Syndrome (her definition: an injury that happens to a baby when it is shaken), my hubby leaned over to tell me that she should describe the injury as a cerebral contusion (thank you very much, neuroscience class). Guess situations like this prove that it takes all types to make the world go round. :-)

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I remember taking that same class! Is Gail still the teacher? We had some real doozies in our class too. Just wait til you get to the video of birth . . . that was a fun childbirth class.

TYGonzalez said...

A nurse named Jewell is leading our classes. I think Gail might be in charge of the breast feeding class, if I'm remembering correctly.

In any case, we had our first childbirth class last night - I'll post about that soon. I'm already not looking forward to the videos. While I'm a big believer in being informed, I don't feel the need to observe other people's birthing experiences to become "learned" about the subject. :-)